Thursday, May 3, 2018

A Cracked Bat Strikes Again

    Julie from A Cracked Bat: Baseball Cards and a Hot Dog has once again surprised me with a packet of baseball goodness! I don't know how she does it, but she always manages to send cards that I think are super cool. Super. Cool. In this post I will be sharing some of my favorites sent by Julie.


A few 2018 Gypsy Queen Cubs. I really like the 2017 Gypsy Queen and I did not expect the 2018 Gypsy Queen to live up to last years' design, but it does.  Arrieta's forearms have some anatomical weirdness going on, but I love Baez' warpaint look! Go Schwarbs! 




For my native American collection, we have my first Thorpe New York Giants cards. 
These are beautiful!  



    And there are SHINIES! These are awesome cards, and I had not known of their existance. They are vintage goodness doubled with glossy metallic plastics. Nice! Early Winn, Ozzie Smith and Fergie Jenkins from 2002 Topps Archives Reserve.  




A K-Mart Cubs card. I have the K-Mart Dream Team Cubs 4-card set from the '80s, this Sandberg card is from 1991. I dig these! When I was a kid I liked going to K-Mart. They had hoagies and popcorn, and finding the flashing blue light was somewhat of a game. Good times, good times.


You know this. 
I 💖 Ozzie! 



2017 Diamond Kings- I love what Panini has done with the Diamond Kings line. Fabulous cards! 




Julie has started me on a mini-collection, US Presidents. I have a beauty of an Obak Obama card (from a previous packet from Julie) and now she has added a Clinton to the deck. Cool. 



    This next card is from one of my two favorite Studio sets, (1993 and 1994). I was only three Cubs away from completing both years' sets, this Grace card was one of them. I'm down two cards needed now. Thanks Julie! It's heartening to have another woman out there loving the baseball cards and blogging about it to boot.



Thank you Julie! Thank you readers!

6 comments:

  1. You got great scans out of the Early Winn, Ozzie Smith and Fergie Jenkins refractors....not easy to do! Those are my favorites, I've never met a card using Refractor technology I didn't like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are not my scans, they are from TCDB. My scanner is a feed scanner. When I first joined TCDB I tried scanning images to upload, and found it simply not worth the trouble of scanning cards with this type of scanner. Anyway one of those first cards was a Jason Heyward Panini Optics card. It absolutely refused to not spin around (and around) when going through the scanner. I think these Archives cards have an identical make-up.

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure there's a nicer person blogging and collecting cards than Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen that Bill Clinton card. I wore the same Astros hat today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not aware of its' existence until it arrived in the mail.

      Delete